Texas Senatorial Candidate (and non-Latino) Beto O’Rourke is facing a new challenge, besides Sen. Ted Cruz – a lawsuit.
According to a story by Kaley Johnson in The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, O’Rourke’s campaign was hit with a class action lawsuit Friday, claiming it violated The Telephone Consumer Protection Act by sending out potentially thousands of unsolicited, unwanted texts to voters across Texas, asking them to vote for the El Paso Democrat.
The Telephone Consumer Protection Act prevents consumers from getting spam texts and calls by requiring permission to be obtained from the consumer. Considering that hundreds of Republicans have taken to social media to complain about the unwanted texts, it appears the O’Rourke campaign has some serious explaining to do.
Sameer Syeed filed the suit in Collin County, just north of Dallas, and claims that he has already received nine texts from the Beto for Texas campaign this year, despite the fact that he never gave them permission to do so.
According to the lawsuit, filed on behalf of all Texans who received texts, says he attempted to stop getting the texts, texting back to the number shown and even calling the number itself. The phone line was automated and would either not pick up or provided a message that the number was not reachable.
The suit asks that the O’Rourke campaign pay $500 per text message to those individuals who received the unwanted texts.
According to The Daily Caller, Ted Cruz himself has even referenced the unwanted texts, joking “I’ve gotten three of them myself. My dad has gotten five. By the third one I was thinking, ‘maybe I should vote for him.’”
The tactics by the Beto O’Rourke campaign come as Cruz has begun polling above 50%, and the O’Rourke, the media darling, continues to see a slip in support.
Strangely, the lawsuit has received almost no media coverage from north Texas media, despite the suit being filed in the area. Searches on their websites showed that neither The Dallas Morning News, ABC affiliate WFAA, NBC affiliate KXAS, CBS affiliate KVTT, nor Fox affiliate KDFW showed the story as of Saturday evening.
Only The Fort Worth Star Telegram ran a story on the suit on their website Friday evening.
A spokesman for the Beto O’Rourke campaign told the Star-Telegram that their campaign tactics, including their texting, is “fully compliant with the law.”
The incident has even sparked a social media backlash of sorts, with people using the hashtag #StopTextingMeBeto demanding he stop trying to convince them to vote for him. Memes are even being thrown in for good measure.
— Armed Southern Charm???????? (@MZGreenOfficial) September 18, 2018
The Beto O’Rourke campaign has already had controversy with their texting, as earlier this year, a rogue volunteer sent out a tweet to voters asking for help in getting illegal immigrants to the polls to vote for Beto.
Post your thoughts in the comments section below on the lawsuit against Beto O’Rourke campaign. In addition, share this on social media.